Thursday, November 10, 2011

TechPoint Innovation Summit Overview


Ball State had a series of booths at the TechPoint Innovation Summit to showcase some technologies and student-led projects. Morgan's Raid was featured, and I and another student involved in the game's development were there to answer any questions passerbys might have.

Overall, we received a lot of positive feedback. Those people who stopped were interested and impressed (or at least they pretended to be) with our work. Even the fellow Ball State-related individuals seemed impressed and could understand how much work went into it.

The crowd at the event was overwhelmingly business-folk, which was perfectly fine. Not everyone was interested in our work, which is understandable. I am, however, glad that I took some advice from someone and suited up. There were plenty of potential employers on-hand, and I would rather err on the side of business attire than on casual, but I'll talk more on potential employers in a moment.

My colleague and I didn't get a chance to hear many of the talks/presentations other than the one directly after lunch (speaking of lunch - it was fantastic!). We were pretty busy chatting with the folk that came by our booth.

As far as potential employers, there were the expected Indianapolis companies, Interactive Intelligence, ExactTarget, etc. Anacore had their Synthesis technology on-hand, and the demonstration was impressive. It looked very fluid, very easy to use.




There were plenty of other companies that my partner in crime and I spoke with, and I'm glad that I went. Even if I don't land a job from any of my leads, getting out there and speaking to professionals is a worthwhile experience. It definitely eased some of my anxieties, and I'm thankful to be entering into a field that appears to be very healthy, despite an uncertain business world.


No comments:

Post a Comment